Compared to a CrossFit membership, your regular gym prices are pretty cheap aren’t they? And for people who make a pact with themselves that they’re going to get fit and strong, a few hundred dollars to lock you into a 12 month contract is the way to go. Holds you accountable, all hours’ access. Perfect right?
Want to know an interesting stat though? Over 50% of people who pay for a Gym membership……Never Show Up! This is essentially money down the drain. Sure, they may try it for the first week or two, but the novelty wears thin. Very quickly.
Here’s another stat….that is why gyms can charge such affordable rates. Their equipment may be expensive, but they actually rely on the peeps who pay their fees and don’t show up. It’s their money that pays for the fancy machines, computer screens and air-conditioning. They actually oversell their memberships BANKING on the fact you won’t show.
CrossFit, on the other hand relies on people showing up and paying their fees. The very foundation of CrossFit is based on the fact that members will show up. More importantly at CrossFit 4504 we WANT you to show up, and if you go MIA you’ll hear from us to help you get back to routine. So a CrossFit box needs to pay staff in order to teach everyone. Every day. Add affiliate fees, equipment costs, etc. and CrossFit is a fairly expensive venture.
In reality however the cost of fitness is FAR more economical than the cost of illness. From medications, specialists, carers and special equipment it all adds up, and the loss of your ability to lead a full life, well you can’t put a value on that. Investing in your health and wellness today will save you a lot more than just cash down the track, it can literally save your life.
So why are so many people now turning to a method of training which is generally the cost of a cup of coffee & snack per day? The members at CrossFit 4504 are extremely happy to have chosen our box over another. Or a gym. Or an exercise class or bootcamp. This is why….
- Intensive Coaching
One of the main reasons people don’t use their gym membership is that they don’t know what to do when they get there or how to use the equipment properly. If you don’t know what you’re doing you could seriously injure yourself. Or you could spend hours working out with next to zero benefit to your strength and fitness. There have been some pretty funny clips circulating on social media about gym equipment fails.
Sadly, though, other stories suffer far more serious consequences, where extensive injury and unfortunately even deaths have occurred simply because there was no-one watching the person who was lifting.
A fundamental focus of CrossFit 4504 is Intensive Coaching for our members. Most of class sizes are deliberately small. Smaller classes = more coaching. If our classes are larger, we have an extra coach in that class.
You are going to be safer, get more from your workout and learn more in every CrossFit 4504 class, simply because you receive Intensive Coaching. Our members are confident in our coaches’ ability to help them perform movements that they’ve never dreamed of even trying. There are so many Bucket List items being ticked off their lists!
And that’s why we’re a little bit different. We aren’t a ‘Costco’ CrossFit box, where as many people are shoved into a class as possible. We want a coaches eyes’ on you for the entire WOD. To ensure you maintain technique. To improve your standards while you’re performing a movement. To let you know that we actually give a shit that you’re here. You aren’t just a number to us. This is the difference in Intensive Coaching and why our membership numbers are growing.
CrossFit 4504 members know that they will be assisted in every way to get the WOD done at their highest achievable standard. They know that coaches are aware of any limitations they may currently have and that WODs are modified accordingly. The workouts will always be challenging. And our coaches are aware of the progress of all our athletes.
- The Difference Between Training and Exercising
There are a lot of exercise classes on offer at the moment. F45, Soul Cycle, Orange Theory, HIIT, and also a lot of unaffiliated gyms offering a watered down experience….. They all help you get moving and get your heart rate pumping, which is great because we could all move a little more. But is there a purpose to those exercises other than an elevated heart rate? Most exercise classes have no specific long term goals. This can make it hard to maintain motivation. Their standards and technique differ hugely for each person so it is hard to quantify results or improvement in your movements. There is generally not a huge amount of consideration towards recovery, rest and nutrition. You turn up – you do your class – you leave. There’s not much that you can aspire to become by doing these classes.
Training on the other hand is different. CrossFit is a training program. Training which, as opposed to exercise, includes all of the following…..
- Specific goals – these are set by athletes for both the short term and long term. The members at CrossFit 4504 have the opportunity to sit with a coach and determine the goals they want to achieve. Moving forward each class and working through individual drills to achieve these goals results in extremely proud moments for these athletes.
- Programming – designed to develop capabilities and attain new movement standards. Each and every WOD at CrossFit 4504 is part of a 12 week cycle, where programming is focussed on different aspects of athletes’ performance. Strength and endurance phases, speed, mobility and high intensity training are a part of our programming to allow our members to become stronger, fitter, faster.
- Strength training – included in a CrossFit 4504 membership. A program can be specifically designed for those wishing to strengthen a particular area or movement. Strength elements are always incorporated into our everyday training, but for those who have specific goals, additional, individual training can enhance their improvement.
- Olympic lifting – Clean. Jerk. Snatch. These lifts take people to the Olympics. Athletes must train these lifts constantly in order to improve and reach new standards. Olympic lifting is heavily incorporated into CrossFit 4504 classes. Specialist programs are also available, with one on one training and accessory skills included.
- Power lifting – Squat. Deadlift. Bench press. These movements are fundamental to CrossFit. They also need to be taught and performed with emphasis on technique rather than load. Once an athlete’s technique is solid, then load is added. CrossFit 4504 members receive Intensive Coaching on these movements and all classes revise basic steps to each lift before they are completed in a WOD. We are serious about longevity – we want our members to live a strong and awesome life – with minimum injuries and maximum CrossFit memories.
- Gymnastics – Definitely an element which requires training, we have found the gymnastics skill work in our program to be extremely helpful to our members. CrossFit 4504 also offers Gymnastics Clinics throughout the year. We have a myriad of progressions on all CrossFit gymnastic movements so that our athletes can get the most out of their workouts while gaining strength and confidence to move forward. Gymnastic goals are being smashed everyday in our box.
- Conditioning – for building an engine. Training movements and then combining them in a WOD helps you to see where you’re at. Our members reach new standards in their training which then gives them the confidence to convert this during a workout. It’s amazing to watch someone who always baulked at jumping onto a box, to now own it like a boss!
- Atmosphere/Community – The other reason people don’t bother going to a regular gym after paying the membership fee – there’s very little atmosphere. The presence of computer screens, mirrors and mobile phones tends to place an inward, anti-social focus on working out at a gym. Some gyms offer group sessions in a bid to provide atmosphere where there is otherwise no community aspect.
Atmosphere and community is the MOST AMAZING thing about CrossFit. And a major reason why more and more people are willing to hand over a few extra dollars. Quite literally – CrossFit is life changing for many people. There are no screens, mirrors or mobiles at the CrossFit 4504 box in the WOD area. You know what we do instead? We talk to each other! And we laugh. And we complain about what we’re about to put our bodies through. And then we compliment everyone at the end for their efforts. Then we laugh and talk some more and eventually leave the members lounge – surrounded by a warm, sweaty glow. Not only from the training that we’ve just accomplished. But for the sense of belonging to a community. An extended family who support and care for each other.
More and more people are visiting the community of CrossFit 4504. More and more are staying to improve their training standards. More and more are understanding that you get what you pay for. In more ways than one.